Honours Social Science
Within the two-year, pre-university Social Science program, students can choose the specific Honours Social Science profile.
The Marianopolis Honours Social Science profile is designed for students with high academic standing. It offers enrichment and recognizes excellence. This profile is designed for students with a strong interest in the social sciences, who are highly motivated, and who wish to engage in curricular and extra-curricular activities that will enrich their understanding of the social sciences.
Beyond the Marianopolis Social Science program objectives, the Honours Social Science profile has been established to give highly motivated students an opportunity to cultivate even further their passion for the Social Sciences.
Within this profile, students will be expected to participate in the following activities:
- An enriched Introductory course
- The Honours Social Science Seminar (an advanced course reserved for Honours Social Science students).
- Extracurricular Activities - Honours Social Science students must participate in nine extracurricular activities. Past events have included:
- Politicians discussing their career path
- Psychologists presenting the state of their current research
- Lawyers talking about the realities of working in a Law firm
- Former Marianopolis students sharing their experience in university and the job market
- Journalists exploring potential career paths with students
Students are strongly encouraged to get involved and to suggest potential topics or people they would like to meet. In the past guest speakers have been invited based on student interest or initiatives:
- Justin Trudeau, invited by the Young Liberals Club
- Peter Trent, Mayor of Westmount, invited by the Young Executives Club
- Brendan Kelly, journalist with CBC Radio and the Gazette
Honours Social Science students are encouraged to complete one of the college-wide certificates - Environmental Studies, International Studies, Law and Social Justice, Native Studies, Third World Studies, and Gender and Sex/uality Studies - for further enrichment.
Note: If you are applying to the Global Studies and International Affairs, Law, Society and Justice, or Psychology profile and would also like to participate in Honours, please email the Admissions team with your application number (seven-digit student number) before March 1. You must meet the minimum requirements for Honours Social Science.
Want to know more?
If you have questions about the Social Science program, please contact: