Marianopolis is dedicated to being financially accessible to students, whether they are starting or finishing their studies at the College. For example, the College’s Foundation increased the number of entrance scholarships for first-year students this year. There are also scholarships for students who are returning to the College.
Among those is the Silver Key Bursary. This year’s bursary goes to second-year students in good academic standing who need financial assistance and whose involvement on campus and in the wider community exemplifies the College’s Mission and Vision.
It is named for and funded by Silver Key students, the official ambassadors of Marianopolis. The Silver Keys help high school students and new Marianopolis students and their families get to know the College.
Before the pandemic, the Silver Keys held fundraisers on campus, including a popular benefit lunch for faculty and staff. Here’s how some Silver Keys raised money to fund this year’s bursaries:
- “I am offering private lessons on the basics of freestyle soccer. We focus on juggling as well as how to land an Around the World.” – Emma Westenberg, second-year Honours Commerce student
- “I sold a Chemistry Review Sheet that I made to help students with exercises from the textbook and in class.” – Misha Fotovati, second-year Honours Health Science student
- “We are helping people celebrate Valentine’s Day with everything from flowers to chocolate to serenades, all delivered with social distancing and love.” – Camille Zhou and Tina Tian, first-year Arts and Sciences students
- “I reached out to my old high school, Loyola High School, and offered my tutoring services. The money I raise will go directly to the Silver Key Bursary. It’s a way of giving back to my old community while helping my new Marianopolis community.” – Alexandre Siou, first-year Health Science student
- “I have been making crochet amigurumi, which is the Japanese craft of crocheting or knitting stuffed creatures, and other items to sell. My most popular product is a large bumblebee!” Rachel Tang, second-year Honours Commerce student
As a Marianopolis student, you can apply to become a Silver Key at the beginning of each academic year. This is a fantastic experience while at the College and a great volunteer leadership position to list when applying to university.